Everyone knows that insurance companies don’t want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. Drivers who shop rates annually are very likely to switch to a new company because the odds are good of finding a cheaper policy. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that drivers who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved over $3,450 over four years compared to policyholders who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding low prices for insurance is your ultimate objective, then having some insight into the best ways to shop for insurance coverage can help you be more efficient.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to get low-cost auto insurance rates is to compare prices regularly from companies in Arlington.
First, take a little time to learn about how companies set rates and the factors you can control to keep rates down. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates such as inattentive driving and poor credit rating can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely. Later in this article we will cover more details to get cheaper coverage and get additional discounts that may be available.
Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote prices from many different companies.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you can save money and change companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
The critical component of shopping around is to try to compare similar coverage information on each quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many carriers as you can. This ensures an accurate price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Locating the best rates in Arlington is really quite easy. If you already have coverage, you should be able to cut your premiums using these methods. But Texas vehicle owners can benefit by having an understanding of how big insurance companies calculate their prices because it varies considerably.
Companies offering Chevy Cavalier insurance in Arlington
The companies shown below can provide quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Eight factors that affect insurance prices
Many different elements are part of the equation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, although some other factors are less obvious such as your marital status or your financial responsibility. It’s important that you understand the factors that help determine the price you pay for car insurance. If you know what controls the rates you pay, this enables informed choices that may result in lower premium levels.
The factors shown below are a partial list of the pieces utilized by car insurance companies to help set your premiums.
- Avoid coverage lapses – Driving without insurance coverage in place is a misdemeanor and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, the inability to provide proof of insurance could result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You will then be forced to file a SR-22 with the Texas department of motor vehicles.
- Pay less with a high NHTSA crash test rating – Cars with high safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and fewer serious injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Chevy Cavalier earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it may be receiving lower rates.
- Discounts for married couples – Your spouse can get you a discount on car insurance. Having a significant other usually means you are more mature than a single person and insurance companies reward insureds because being married results in fewer claims.
- Performance impacts insurance costs – The make and model of the vehicle you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. Low performance passenger vehicles usually are quite affordable to insure, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Men pay more for car insurance – Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. However, don’t assume that females are better at driving than males. Both sexes tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but guys get into accidents with more damage. Men also receive more major tickets like DUI and reckless driving.
- Save by driving less – Driving more miles every year the higher your rates will be. Most insurance companies calculate rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars not used for work or commuting receive better premium rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Verify your car insurance coverage shows the right rating data, because it can save money. An improperly rated Cavalier may be wasting your money.
- Careless drivers pay higher premiums – Having a clean driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Having a single moving violation can bump up the cost by twenty percent. Drivers with clean records get better rates than people who have multiple driving citations. People who have careless violations like DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to file a SR-22 with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Higher premiums for tough vocations – Careers such as fire fighters, executives, and financial analysts tend to have the highest rates because of intense work situations and lengthy work days. Other careers such as actors, engineers and retirees receive lower rates.
Save a ton on Chevy Cavalier insurance in Arlington with these auto insurance discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be applied at the time you complete a quote, but some discounts are required to be requested specifically before you get the savings. If you are not receiving all the discounts possible, you may be paying too high a price.
- Telematics Data Discounts – People who choose to allow companies to track their driving habits by using a telematics device like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Require your teen driver to participate in a local driver’s education class if offered at their school.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving less can qualify you for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Early Switch Discount – Some insurance companies give discounts for buying a new policy prior to your current Cavalier insurance policy expiring. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Military Discounts – Being deployed in the military can result in better auto insurance rates.
- College Student Discount – Any of your kids who live away from home to go to college and do not take a car to college may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Completing a course in safe driver could earn you a small percentage discount if your company offers it.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky.
The best auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be read below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for federal employee, multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, and defensive driver.
- MetLife may have discounts that include accident-free, good driver, good student, multi-policy, claim-free, and defensive driver.
- State Farm has savings for anti-theft, multiple autos, multiple policy, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and safe vehicle.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-policy, online quote discount, good student, online signing, continuous coverage, and multi-vehicle.
- Mercury Insurance includes discounts for type of vehicle, accident-free, location of vehicle, multi-policy, multi-car, and low natural disaster claims.
- 21st Century offers discounts for early bird, defensive driver, air bags, teen driver, automatic seat belts, good student, and student driver.
- Allstate offers discounts including early signing, good student, farm vehicle, FullPay discount, and resident student.
When comparing rates, check with each company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some credits might not be offered in every state. To see a list of insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Texas, follow this link.
Get rate quotes but buy from a local Arlington insurance agent
A lot of people just prefer to go talk to an agent and that is just fine! One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is you can get cheap car insurance quotes and also buy local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your information is sent to insurance agents in Arlington who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered immediately to you. Get lower rates AND an agent nearby. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, you would need to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Choosing an insurer requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
Types of car insurance agents
When finding a reliable agent, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents and how they can quote your rates. Car insurance policy providers are classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents are contracted to one company such as State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are usually well trained on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to use the same exclusive agent mostly because of loyalty to the company and strong financial ratings.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Arlington that are able to give price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: Paula Huemmer
7000 S Cooper St # F – Arlington, TX 76001 – (817) 467-3880 – View Map
- GEICO Insurance Agent
5930 Interstate 20 W Suite 252 – Arlington, TX 76017 – (817) 985-5300 – View Map
- Mark Leal – State Farm Insurance Agent
1420 N Cooper St #106 – Arlington, TX 76011 – (682) 323-5033 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent agencies are not employed by one company so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies and find you the best rates. To move your coverage to a new company, they can switch companies in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparing car insurance prices, we highly recommend that you check rates from multiple independent agents in order to compare the most rates. Most can insure with companies you’ve never heard of which can save you money.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Arlington willing to provide price quotes.
- Shane Ferrell Insurance Agency
3926 W Pioneer Pkwy – Arlington, TX 76013 – (817) 635-4663 – View Map
- First Texas Insurance Services LC
700 Highlander Blvd #350 – Arlington, TX 76015 – (817) 275-2626 – View Map
- Vogue Insurance Agency
1201 N Watson Rd #287 – Arlington, TX 76006 – (682) 305-2140 – View Map
Upon receiving answers to your satisfaction to any questions you have as well as an affordable premium quote, you may have found an insurance agent that can service your policy.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
Always remember that when buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Each situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
For example, these questions may help you determine if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- Is pet coverage available?
- Is my Chevy Cavalier covered if I use it for business?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
A conclusion for your insurance search
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits to discover at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. Your strategy should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Cheap Chevy Cavalier insurance in Arlington is possible from both online companies and from local agencies, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who don’t offer rate quotes online and most of the time these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent agencies.
More detailed insurance information can be found at these sites:
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota Corolla in Arlington? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Arlington Auto Insurance for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota Highlander in Arlington? (FAQ)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)